For Pete’s sake! All I seem to write about here lately is getting sick and food poisoning. We just can’t seem to catch a break.
So here’s my weekend story – sad, but true. Please be warned that this post contains references to bodily functions that happen when one has food poisoning.
On Friday night, we dropped Ava off with friends so that Jody and I could enjoy an evening out to ourselves to celebrate our anniversary. We went to The Melting Pot – a fondue restaurant that I’ve heard great things about over the years and have been wanting to go to for quite some time. The ambiance was great, the food was delicious, the company was wonderful.🙂 It was a great evening. And, possibly best of all, Ava had no problems at all while we were gone. She was very happy to stay with our friends. Who could’ve asked for more, right?
Jody woke up first Saturday morning to diarrhea and vomiting. He NEVER, EVER throws up and hasn’t since he was in high school, so he knew something was up.
I woke up about an hour and a half later to the same thing. First the diarrhea, then, about 30 minutes later, I ran to the toilet to throw up. My first thought (since I didn’t know Jody had been sick yet) was that I had consumed too much of the chocolate fondue the night before (because I did indulge quite a bit) and my body was just getting it out of my system. But then I threw up again and a few times after that and, after finding out Jody was in the same predicament, I was certain we had food poisoning.
I called my OB’s office a little while later to make sure the baby wouldn’t be affected by my illness. The doctor reassured me that food poisoning is contained in the gut and would not cause the baby any harm. She did caution me to keep myself hydrated and I did my best, though it was really hard for a few hours to keep anything in my system.
It was a miserable day. I stayed in bed most of the day. Jody felt slightly better than I did, so he did his best to take care of Ava, who was still not eating very much after her recent bout w/ tummy sickness a few days before. She wanted to nurse and, while I let her a few times, I didn’t feel it was in my best interest for her to since I was not keeping down any fluids and what I did have needed to go to the baby. So we let her drink milk with Ovaltine and Gatorade – not things she’d typically have, but we pretty much felt that whatever kept *her* hydrated and happy was good for us too.
We all took a nap together that afternoon, which was very much needed. I didn’t eat anything, except for a few Saltines (which I threw up) all day long, but my stomach did NOT want food in it. I ate small amounts of food on Sunday, but it still felt funky. And even this morning, after having some scrambled eggs and toast, I feel blah, though definitely not nauseous (which is a relief!).
The conclusion we’ve come to is that the restaurant had to have had bad meat. Yes, I said the “m” word. I ate meat. Might as well come clean now that I’ve been having some meat every now and then for the past few weeks. I’ve decided to follow my body’s lead for this pregnancy and, since I need in excess of 75 to 100 grams of protein per day to ward off pre-eclampsia and HELLP Syndrome (which I had with Ava), I am allowing myself to eat meat if my body craves it. (No stone throwing, please?)
Anyway, we think it was bad meat because we were very sure to cook the meat for at least the amount of time recommended, but I did all of mine for even longer than that because I am wary about undercooked meat and because I’m pregnant and did NOT want to deal with food poisoning.
I am going to write The Melting Pot a letter to explain what happened. I think they need to be aware of it, especially if others got sick from that evening as well. And it’s even more frustrating that we got so sick after we paid more money that evening than I think we’ve ever paid for a meal. You’d think that for the price (over $100), they’d have really good quality food, meats, etc. Heck, just the fact that they serve raw meat, you’d think their quality standards would have to be pretty high or they’d be dealing with cases of food poisoning all the time.
So, here it is, Monday and we are both feeling better, but still not 100%. Jody stayed home from work today and I’m sure I would have as well if I were in his shoes. I will admit that I’m doing TONS better than I was on Saturday though. I spent 95% of Saturday either laying in bed or on the couch and the other 5% was spent in the bathroom. I think it may take a few more days before we are back to our old selves.
It sure does make you question all food (meat or not) though. I’m finding myself being skiddish of anything I put in my mouth now.
Anyway, I hope everyone had a much better weekend than we did.